There was a common expression in my high school — Save the drama for yo’ mama. I’m not sure why people liked to say it. Maybe because it rhymed. Though it’s not particularly cool, the message, at its core, was spot on: Your drama is childish.
For all the new terms Facebook brought us (poke, friend request, unfriend, like, dislike, inbox, wall post), Zuckerberg’s brainchild has brought back at least one old one as well: drama.
So, if you are too mature for the tired melodrama of social media catfights, here are 15 ways to avoid Facebook drama:
- Stop and think before you post. (How will I feel about this post tomorrow?)
2. Don’t share everything. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
3. Never post when you are angry. It sounds great at the time, but you’ll regret it later.
4. Don’t post something for everyone to see that is really meant for just one person to see. If you have something to say to an individual, have the guts to call, email, or message that person directly.
5. If you’re tired of seeing someone else’s drama, but ‘unfriending’ them would only add to the drama, just ‘unfollow’ them.
6. Get over yourself. Don’t assume that person’s post or update was about you.
7. Learn to be happy for other people. Their success doesn’t make you a failure, and their failure doesn’t make you a success.
8. Forgive people who have hurt, angered or disappointed you. Most fights aren’t worth it, even in a social media world.
9. Stop trying to convince people that you are happy, just go be happy.
10. Don’t lie, embellish or manipulate through your status updates.
11. Be more optimistic. Cynicism and criticism are Facebook poison.
12. Send more inboxes and fewer wall posts
13. Be careful what friend requests you accept
14. Grow up
15. Spend less time on Facebook
Facebook is a social networking site. It is great for saying hi, sharing pictures, posting stupid videos and making announcements. That’s about it. It’s not a middle school cafeteria, after school special or daily soap opera. Hate is hate. Anger is anger. Bitterness is bitterness.
Lol, hahaha, hehehe, omg or a winky face doesn’t change that.